Home » Shipping News » Alang Update

Alang Update

Posted on Friday, April 2, 2010 by

Digital zoom and mist combine to reveal a pixelated blur of PLATINUM II (ex INDEPENDENCE) off Gopnath, India. Photo and copyright Peter Knego 2010.

April 2:  Almost every plot here (at Alang, India) is occupied, some with two ships.  REGAL EMPRESS (ex OLYMPIA, CARIBE I) is completely gone.  Her berth is now occupied by another ship that is three weeks into the demolition process.  In the neighboring plot, DALMACIJA is missing her bow and a large portion of superstructure.  She sat for almost two months after her early January beaching “in line” for the torch as a prior ship was finished off.  GLORY (ex ANNA NERY, CONSTELLATION, SALAMIS GLORY, etc.) is being broken in an unusual manner that has left a narrow strip of the center portion of her superstructure intact, so while at least half the ship is gone, her funnel and mast still exist.  Recently beached WINNER 5 (ex AUSONIA) is still quite far out but is being winched in with the tide and will succumb to the torches late this month as various clearances are awaited.  She lies in the shadows of the massive supertanker MONT (ex KNOCK NEVIS, JAHRE VIKING, etc.), which is disappearing relatively quickly, considering the ship’s size.  The first 500 feet of MONT’s hull is gone and cutters are working at her stern and superstructure, as well.  Off Gopnath, some 30 miles south of Alang, the PLATINUM II (ex INDEPENDENCE, etc.) is stuck in the mud some four miles off the coast.  The hotly-controversial ship is manned by local police and government authorities who are on the lookout for anyone trying to access the vessel for any purpose.  No one, even the local Gopnath authorities and fishermen are allowed anywhere near the liner, which has broken its back and appears from distant images to be down by the starboard bow.  Once legal issues are settled, the ship will be broken up on site.  Meanwhile, MAESTRO (the former RENAISSANCE, WORLD RENAISSANCE, etc.) is slowly sputtering along on her way to Port Said after stopping for emergency turbocharger repairs in Crete yesterday as she heads toward South Asia.  There are some rumors of her being sold to Papua, New Guinea-interests who plan to refit the vessel for further service but if these plans fall through, it is likely she will join the Alang armada in the next couple weeks.

15 Responses to Alang Update

1. Peter Finch

April 2, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Would the “Maestro” mentioned in the last paragraph be the former “Blue Monarch?”
    What ever became of the plans to bring the “Blue Monarch” to Canada’s West Coast? There was talk of her being an accomodation vessel for the 2010 Winter Olympics, with conversion to a hotel and convention centre afterward. “Mona Lisa” seems to have replaced “Blue Monarch” in this role, but has apparently left Canadian waters and is said to be resuming service in the cruise trade.

2. Patricia

April 3, 2010 at 7:11 am

Heartbreaking to see that image and reading the latest.

3. Andy

April 4, 2010 at 5:45 pm

I was a 3rd engineer on board the Independence. This does make me sad. I appreciate the effort made to bring news and pictures. I find it a little hard to believe that this ship carries so much controversy. She is no more “toxic” than any other ship. Maybe even less.

Keep up the good work. More news and pictures are appreciated.

4. glenn

April 5, 2010 at 8:19 am

Very sad re the Independence. Within a few years none of the classic ocean liners will be left…..

5. Grace

April 6, 2010 at 1:59 am

Very sad to hear of the passing of many lovely old ships, especially Ausonia and Independance. Your news and pix are very appreciated, since I have been compiling the fate of ships I knew (or knew of) in the late 1980s, including some i actually saw, and a very few I was lucky enough to travel in.

6. Dan

April 6, 2010 at 6:21 am

Really sad, it’s hard to accept that the classic ships that are so important to me are gone.
    In one Alang photo the forward superstructure of the REGAL EMPRESS was cut through seemingly exposing cabin U91. I booked U91 every time I sailed on her, it broke my heart.

7. Scott Hardie

April 6, 2010 at 10:14 am

I sailed on her in Aug 1995 in Hawaii. Always difficult for us ship lovers to say goodbye. Sad photo indeed. R.I.P. INDY.

8. Mark

April 8, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I worked on the indy and the connie for 10 years and had hoped for a better end for the indy.

9. Greg

April 11, 2010 at 6:11 pm

I think its very sad to see our classic liners being scrapped. The Ausonia is a beautiful little ship its sickening. All these new ships which are being built at record speeds, itsmind boggling, Im afraid that long term who knows how long they will last? I love the old liners they were built for the ocean, these new ones?????they are like corks in the water..its sad really sad…..

10. Margaret

April 12, 2010 at 7:09 am

My husband sailed for many years for AEL and made many trips on both the Indy and the Connie. I was fortunate enough to have made the 50th Anniversary cruise on the Indy in July 2001. It is very hard to see such an end for a majestic ship. Wish she could lay beside the Connie.

11. arthur

April 15, 2010 at 10:23 am

so sad to see these beautilful old ships going,first the norway,now hopefully thebeautiful saga rose,will be saved even if its like my favourite ship,the rotterdam ahotel ship!

12. Scott Hardie

April 16, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Is the INDY visable on google earth? Don’t know up to date the images are.

13. Whole Wheat Toast

April 16, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I remember when the Indy was in San Francisco. I got some pictures of it, but never really did get a chance to see it leave the bay…I was hoping it would get restored as a hotel for a new development further south in San Francisco where it was laid up

14. alfredo

April 18, 2010 at 2:49 am

what do you think about alang dangerous place for workers without security.I was an officer italian ships and I am sad for all passeger ships stay at alang,.they are old ships everyone with a history.Eugenio c,Ausonia ,france.I travelled on raffaello and enrico c .

April 27, 2010 at 8:31 am

I made a trip on the indy from Honolulu to San Francisco in the mid 80′s as the ship was off to dry-dock. Beautiful lady, she will surely be missed.