Home » Shipping News » No Peace for PEACE BOAT

No Peace for PEACE BOAT

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 by

SS COCEANIC

SS OCEANIC at Vancouver. Photo copyright Peter Knego June 2009

Ken Murayama forwarded reports to MaritimeMatters that appeared in both Japanese and Croatian newspapers making reference to an incident involving Peace Boat’s classic liner, the 1965-built SS OCEANIC. The report suggests that the OCEANIC came under attack from pirates while sailing near Yemen last week. Captain Teodor Candrlic was congratulated with taking swift action that deflected the pirate attack. One report made mention of the ship adopting a zig-zag manoeuvre, while being attacked with grenades. The crew blasted the attackers with high pressure hoses while the ship sped up and steamed away at full speed toward a NATO alliance vessel for protection.  The pirates were allegedly apprehended by a NATO patrol. We will update the story as more information is revealed.

17 Responses to No Peace for PEACE BOAT

1. Mage B

May 11, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I’m open mouthed. Amazed. Bravo. Waiting for more details.

2. Glenn Lappin

May 11, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Wow,
    I did’nt know she still had it in her! Go Girl!

3. Croix Picoriello

May 12, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Well done!!! 27 Knots from those engines!! That will show them!!

4. D. Jordan Berson

May 19, 2010 at 8:04 am

That’s my girl!

5. Glenn

May 21, 2010 at 3:08 am

That must have been an incredible sight, probably one that the pirates weren’t expecting… lol

6. Justin Higner

May 25, 2010 at 12:36 am

Exellent work. The crew was great in this attack by the pirates. The whole lot on bord the great Oceanic should be commended. PEACE BOAT sails on!

7. Mosese Waqa

May 28, 2010 at 4:01 am

What a demonstration of great resilience!!! So glad you’re all safe. Peace!

8. Romano Secci

August 12, 2010 at 12:36 am

Marvellous!!!! Congratulations!!!
    She still bringhs back to me so many beautiful memories of the time I spent
    on Her, (16 straight years), since She was a bright young “Lady”

9. Romano Secci

August 12, 2010 at 12:49 am

Marvellous!!! I’m so happy She’s still going and that all went well with this new adventure! Congratulations!!!

10. Romano Secci

August 12, 2010 at 12:53 am

Congratulations!!! Keep on going!

11. Dan

August 12, 2010 at 1:12 am

Now this is a fantastic ship. I hope that she continue to sail for years to come. If not, then I hope that someone will make her into the Italian example of the SS Rotterdam as a hotel and museum. The SS Oceanic certainly deserves it.

12. Deborah DAmbrosi

August 12, 2010 at 5:22 am

I sailed on her several times when she was with Premier, excellent cruise ship. She out ran Hurricane Andrew in Aug. ’92. Fast lady. :) :) :) :)

13. Kathleen Ronan

September 8, 2010 at 6:09 am

I sailed in her almost 20 times. She was the best then and still now! Long live the Oceanic!

14. Tim

September 10, 2010 at 2:21 am

Long live the Topaz what a great cruise ship she was. Nothing like it out there now.

15. Dante Cosini

September 24, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Beautiful ship!! I spent 7 years aboard SS Oceanic.and I will always remenber the great time and the nice people I worked with.Glad everybody was safe

16. Greg

September 26, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I SAW HER IN VANCOUVER. PULLMANTUR REALLY TOOK CARE OF THIS BEAUTY, SHES RIGHT UP THERE WITH MV KINGSHOLM VICTORIA, MONA LISA….BEAUTY AND IM GLAD SHES DOING GOOD…..
    SHE GAVE ME GOOSE BUMPS WHEN I SAW HER…JUST LIKE A CLASSIC CAR…..

17. Dan

November 11, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Hi Peter,
    Do you have any future plans to go on a voyage onboard the Oceanic as part of your cruising adventures? I certainly would love to see you do a review on the ship as in its service with Peaceboat. Any thoughts about booking a cruise onboard the SS Oceanic?