Home » Past Ships » Brokeback PLATINUM

Brokeback PLATINUM

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 by

SS PLATINUM II (ex INDEPENDENCE) at Gopnath, May 2010. Photographer unknown.

A haunting series of images taken of the stranded and now quite visibly broken SS PLATINUM II (ex INDEPENDENCE, SEA LUCK I, OCEANIC INDEPENDENCE, OCEANIC) have been forwarded to MaritimeMatters by James Hood. Once we get the URL for the website, we will provide a link but thus far, the source is unknown. The above photo confirms what a misty, very distant shot taken in late March indicated — the ship has broken her back and will be scrapped on the spot, four to five miles off the coast of Gopnath, some 30 miles southwest of Alang on the coast of Gujarat. There are reports that a crane is now alongside and the ship was recently “looted” and now has several guards posted on board. Further news from Alang, which is inundated with ships even though the steel market is in decline: WINNER 5 (ex AUSONIA, IVORY, etc.) continues to be pulled closer to the beach as stripping is complete and cutting begins; MAESTRO (ex RENAISSANCE, BLUE MONARCH, etc.) is still at Bombay and efforts continue to sell the ship for further trading with steel prices at their current rates; scrap buyers will soon be inspecting MONA LISA (ex KUNGSHOLM, SEA PRINCESS, VICTORIA). With thanks to James Hood.

69 Responses to Brokeback PLATINUM

1. Corey

June 22, 2010 at 2:40 am

I wasn’t clear. Ncl should of put norways funnels on one of their new ships. It would of showed history and lineage. At least the funnels would look good.

2. Corey

June 22, 2010 at 2:43 am

Ncl should of used norways funnels on epic. Would of showed lineage

3. gerry s

June 22, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Peter, not trying to spread untrue rumors, just repeating what has been printed elsewhere. My point in mentioning the radar mast is that it wasn’t fixed or replaced, she was parked “broken”and stayed that way. She was said to be beyond economic repair after sitting for years without any maintainence, so giving her a complete rebuild seems to have always been on a back page and probably never a planned reality. She was only the key that opened up the Hawaiian Islands to NCL. Didn’t know when her wheelhouse was stripped, so thanks for that info, and yes , the United States still exists in her unprotected limbo because of them but have they done anything to protect her from the elements or to make her more attractive to new buyers ? She has served her purpose for them too and isn’t really being marketed aggressively for sale. Guess if a funnel collapses or deck buckles and she is declared dangerous, she can still give them back their money on the scrap market. Has anyone seen any preliminary plans or drawings for NCL’s rebuild of either ship ?

June 22, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Hi Gerry. Nothing personal towards you, I was just trying to set the record straight. Again, plenty to bring issue with NCL about (what cruise line hasn’t got issues?) but a lot of the info put out there about the INDY, NORWAY and US is just not true. And it keeps coming back like a boomerang in orbit, no matter how many times it is corrected. Here’s what I know about NCL’s now dashed plans for INDY. They were holding the ship “just in case” the US operation was a flying success. After putting the three ships in Hawaii, the US would have been next, then INDY, which would have been based in US coastal cruising. INDY was bought for her hull. As long as her keel was built here, they could completely rebuild what was on top of that for a new purpose and register her in the US. Nothing we knew and loved about the ship would have survived. In the end, I am kind of relieved the plan was abandoned but it does explain why the ship was not carefully preserved since everything would have been gutted. But what many people overlook is that by buying the INDY, NCL saved her from the scrappers in 2003. I am happy they did because I got to see and visit her again, although by not making it intact to the scrappers, none of her artwork and furnishings will be saved. As for UNITED STATES, I fear if the rebuild ever did occur, her superstructure would probably have been removed and completely replaced. So, again, no point in painting and cleaning what is there, although I understand from very reliable sources that it is all still in excellent structural condition.

5. Mark

June 23, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I worked aboard the indy and the connie for many years. I attempted to see the indy while she was in san fransisco back in 2006 they would not let me even go to the outside of the ship. I am now disabled and the only happy time in my life has been destroyed. My only hope for the indy is a category 5 cyclone to hit her and put her under the seas that she and her sister sailed so proudly for so many years. This picture of the indy hurts me very badly. Mahalo for your reporting on what has been done to this very special memory of my past life and please continue to report what happens even her final demise as i have so many fond memories of this ship and her sister ship. Mark

6. Mike Ralph

June 25, 2010 at 9:54 am

Peter – Thanks for all your excellent info re: Indy and The Big U. As a liner buff since the early 1950′s – I’ve followed both of these ships over the years and as a Travel Writer was very pleased when NCL bought both. I’ve been a fan of NCL since the 1980′s maiden voyage of NORWAY. I loved what they did to her to make her “The biggest week in the Caribbean”. Expected the same for Indy and US… Not to be… You can’t blame NCL for everything as the market for Hawaii cruises just fell flat and they were forced to take tonnage out of that area and place it where it could sell. After all, they are a business and have to make $ to survive. I wish NCL well. However, their current flagship EPIC is just Butt-Ugly! I’ll sail on her next year and will reserve any further comments until that time. After all a ship is more than just her exterior looks. I’ve learned that in the Travel business after sailing on over two hundred ships over the years!
    “The Sun Viking”Z3S7

7. Matthew

June 25, 2010 at 11:06 am

Hi Peter,
    Do you know what the status of SS The Emerald is? Wikipedia says she is being or has been upgraded, while one website says she has been laid up for sale at Piraeus since last September.
    Thanks

June 25, 2010 at 11:34 am

Hi Matthew, I do not have anything official but the people I spoke with at Louis do not think she will cruise again.

9. Andy

August 9, 2010 at 6:36 am

Does anyone have an update on the status of the Indy??

I have been out at sea since these pictures first appeared. I just got home Saturday and have not been able to find any new news. I was a former engineering officer on the Indy.

Any news that has surfaced since mid June would be appreciated.

Thanks

10. grakenverb

December 6, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I have posted some videos of the SS Independence and the SS Constitution on Youtube:

December 7, 2010 at 12:23 pm

She has since been cut down. Not sure if all of the ship was removed or if parts are left underwater. Some waterlogged furnishing was put up for sale at the traders’ — only more recent things from what I could see and nothing worth my trying to salvage, unfortunately.

December 8, 2010 at 5:05 am

There is a Hollywood movie that showcases the exterior of the SS Constitution, sister ship to SS Independence. The movie made in the 1950′s, starring Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr, entitled, An Affair to Remember. The actual interior shots may well have been on a set, and the scenery at Velle Franche are most obviously a set. The ship at sea is the real deal, and preserved beautifully.

This beloved tear jerker movie is important to the preservation of ship travel in the past, mainly mid-century, and American. The plot and story line as timeless as the sea itself..

The often carped “ships photographer” has a small yet major role in this movie, and whether set of for real, what ships pierage and terminals were like in the past, quite differnt from todays state of the art terminals. The formality and the pretense of luxuries at sea now a memory for some, are gloriously preserved in this movie.

So, Net Flix it, find it on your cable supplier, buy it on Amazon or your favorite film provider, grab a box of tissues, and enjoy.

December 8, 2010 at 6:40 am

post script:

Thank you grakenverb for sharing your videos on you tube of the two freat ships, Constitution and Independence.

14. max

December 8, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Such a pity that the ship was broken in two. I wanted to see the entire ship beached in one piece. Controversy is the way of teh world when it comes to toxic ships. Although, I doubt that the SS Indy will be the last.

15. Andy

December 9, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Peter,

When was the last time you were in Alang? I was an engineer on the Indy and would love to get name plates off the main engines, boilers, generators or anything from the engine room. We used to have a fire extinguisher with the bottom cut out hanging in the fireroom to act as a big gong. The fireman would hit it with a hammer if he needed to get the watch engineer’s attention.

16. mark

December 23, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Peter do you have any room key rings i will trade a AHC CONSTITUTION for a AHC INDEPENDENCE

December 24, 2010 at 1:54 am

Hi Mark,

I’m away from home for a few days but I do think I may have a spare INDY key chain. Need to dig a bit…

December 24, 2010 at 1:57 am

Andy, as per earlier post, the last time I was in Alang was March of 2010. INDY has since been broken up, I am told and only a handful of ruined furnishings were recovered from the site. Nothing from the machinery spaces.

19. mark

December 29, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Peter Mahalo if you have 1 to trade. I had 1 but at an airport security check point my INDEPENDENCE and CONSTITUTION key rings were taken Mark