Home » Shipping News » NORWEGIAN EPIC’s U.K. Debut “Shafted”?

NORWEGIAN EPIC’s U.K. Debut “Shafted”?

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 by

NORWEGIAN EPIC departing Rotterdam on June 19. Photo and copyright Hans Hoffman 2010.

“Technical difficulties” have delayed NORWEGIAN EPIC’s maiden arrival in Southampton from 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM tomorrow as the ship plods at half speed across the channel from Rotterdam.

From Bert Lamers, who supplied MaritimeMatters with some incredible images of the ship’s Rotterdam arrival (see prior post):

“My wife and I were supposed to sail today with the NORWEGIAN EPIC from Rotterdam to Southampton. However we’re at home now and we will not be doing so. The EPIC has technical problems and can only sail at an approximate speed of 10 knots. She left Rotterdam at 4:30 PM (a half hour late) and will arrive in Southampton (seven and a half hours late) at 5:30 PM tomorrow.

Furthermore there were big issues with checking-in because of computer problems.

Our travel agent gave the passengers the choice to sail with the ship and arrive back in Holland by bus from Southampton around 12 hours later than planned or to cancel the trip and get a full refund. We decided for the last option.

Alltogether a very bad start for the NORWEGIAN EPIC, especially after the fires in St. Nazaire. It’s certainly not a lucky ship.”

A spokesman for NCL told USA Today that the “technical problem” is with one of the ship’s propeller shafts and that it will be repaired in Southampton.

How this will affect the EPIC’s transatlantic crossing (scheduled to depart on June 24) and U.S. inaugural events planned in early July remains to be seen. With thanks to Hans Hoffman and Bert Lamers. More soon…

16 Responses to NORWEGIAN EPIC’s U.K. Debut “Shafted”?

1. CubanToro

June 21, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Whom ever it was that designed the outside of the ship must have job security. It surely is not a job I would love to brag about. I’m so, so, and I designed the newest ship for NCL… and show them this. And from the looks of it… the luck of this ship is already in question. Somewhere… in the Valhalla of ships… the FRANCE/NORWAY is laughing~

2. gerry s

June 21, 2010 at 2:03 pm

WOW, what a homely beast . It must have looked good of computer graph paper, but…….. a computer can’t design beauty without human help. Looks like a computer thought this one up by itself !!

3. steve toth

June 21, 2010 at 2:18 pm

haha yup they ruined a good thing for this.

4. Steve B

June 21, 2010 at 3:28 pm

It is truly the ugliest ship I have ever seen…a new low.

5. Chris

June 21, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Send her to Alang!

6. Glenn L.

June 21, 2010 at 6:24 pm

This tranatlantic crossing is most likely the only one that has been planned for this vessel. Like the Oasis of the Seas these ships were intended to be cash cows on the calm Miami/caribbean run. Why not just build a bridge or tunnel to Nassau and get it over with? Many people also overlook the fact that the promenade also disappeared-They want you looking IN! Not Out! The romance is gone -Oh well.

7. goeffer

June 21, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Poor NCL. First the terrible fires at the ship yard and now the technical issues prior to their arrival into the UK. I hope they have smoother sailings. Good luck

8. leaper

June 22, 2010 at 1:25 am

Teething troubles on Epic – well they should have ordered it from Hyundai – at least they would have got a 7-year unlimited mileage warranty on it!

9. Scott

June 22, 2010 at 5:24 am

Maybe the one that designed the outside also designed the engineering. This is another Las Vegas type hotel that floats.

10. Glenn Paull

June 22, 2010 at 6:06 am

I agree with Gene Sloan of USA Today, the cabins have design problems. Perhaps while they are fixing the problems in the engine room and the computer system they could re-design the cabins?

11. Lance

June 22, 2010 at 7:17 am

I hope that the weather in the channel was smooth for the half speed voyage. Nothing like being at the mercy of waves and wind. I can only image what the sway must be like in those upper deck suites.

I don’t think it would be fun to cross the Atlantic in that beast.

I’m still chuckling about a previous post that called it “the Pontiac Aztek of cruise ships.”

12. edvard

June 22, 2010 at 7:59 am

I hate to throw more wood on the fire but I have to agree with the others. This is one ugly looking ship. It almost looks like an oil rig got married to a hotel and this was the offspring. I guess at the end of the day it represents what cruising seems to have become, which is that the ships themselves have become THE destination. All the ads you see these days show what you can do on board. So in reality they’ve gone from making ships that get to wherever they’re going as fast as possible to what amounts to floating hotels.

I think what ruined it for me on this one is the huge ‘box’ on the front/top of the ship. This section looks like it was added later. I think the overall superstructure is too tall.It looks seriously top-heavy.

June 22, 2010 at 9:57 am

HA HA HA CHRIS !……………………………………………………..I AGREE

“LET HER HAVE A LONG REST ON THE BEACH” IN ALANG !

14. Corey

June 22, 2010 at 11:10 pm

They should call her the great eastern after the ugly monster ship from the 1800-s. Ncl should know how to design cabins by now.

15. Mike Ralph "The Sun Viking"

June 24, 2010 at 8:35 am

Oh, MY… and they wrecked NORWAY for THIS? Progress isn’t always pretty. Thankfully, NCL canceled the second one of these! She’s starting out quite badly and I hope she won’t give us a reminder of TITANIC! Luckily there are no icebergs enroute to Miami. I wish her luck but, NCL has a butt-ugly ship on its hands!
    “The Sun Viking”

16. Patricia

June 24, 2010 at 6:26 pm

We averaged 13 knots, increasing to 15 as we rounded Selsey to head to Nab to pick up the pilot. The navigational info had us in Rotterdam so thank goodness for AIS and a dad texting updates!