Home » Shipping News » MSC Announces FANTASTICA

MSC Announces FANTASTICA

Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 by

Rendering of MSC FANTASIA, the prototype of MSC FANTASTICA.

MSC Cruises confirms construction of a new “Fantasia class” cruise ship at STX Europe in St. Nazaire France, yard number U32, will be named MSC FANTASTICA. The 3,274-passenger vessel will be the 12th ship in MSC’s fleet, and according to MSC, “will build upon the success of the ‘Fantasia’ prototype, offering a unique experience for guests…thanks to innovative features such as the MSC Yacht Club, the exclusive ship-within-a-ship…for unprecedented levels of privacy and personalized service.” Delivery is expected in 2012.

10 Responses to MSC Announces FANTASTICA

1. AJ

July 24, 2010 at 6:15 am

Fantastica was originally going to be called Favalosa, but since Costa announced they too were having a Favalosa, MSC have changed their newbuild’s name. Good job too really as both ships are slated to be doing the same itinerary…can you imagine the taxi drivers in Barcelona when asked by a passenger to go to the Favalosa….??

It was only a matter of time before either MSC or Costa changed their choice of name.

2. CubanToro

July 24, 2010 at 8:37 am

Another top heavy, high rise resort on its side at sea…

3. Mike

July 24, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I like it… they at least tried to streamline the big, square stern a little bit. I think that softens up the shape and makes her look less bulky than some of her contemporaries!

4. Kalle Id

July 24, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I understand not calling her Favolosa to avoid confusion with the Costa ship, but I think there’s even more potential confusion in having both an MSC Fantasia and an MSC Fantastica. I keep thinking I’m reading accidental repostings of old news about the former because the names are so similar!

5. Corey

July 25, 2010 at 6:00 pm

It’s funny when you look at a ship of the sovereign of the seas class of ship and go that’s a good looking ship. I used think they were okay but compared to today’s new ships they look grand especially with their normandie like stern

July 26, 2010 at 12:18 pm

TOP HEAVY AGAIN………! BUT I GUESS THEY ARE ALL NOW WITH 20 FOOT DRAFT AND 15 DECKS…….THEY HAVE TO BE. But at least it looks better then the UGLY, SHOE BOX NORWEGIAN EPIC.

July 26, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I agree with Kalle Id. But Holland America has a Niew Amsterdam and a Amsterdam ! THATS CONFUSING !

8. Hank

July 27, 2010 at 7:30 am

Didn’t they used to have two Statendams in service? If not, my bad.

9. harold williams

July 29, 2010 at 10:42 am

I agree with David and CubanToro that it seems too top heavy, like Epic. I am not an engineer but I believe if it is going to have 13 passenger decks and over 1000 feet it should then have at least 135 feet across. I believe that most rccl ships have more breath.

10. Gillian Bowen

May 7, 2012 at 2:15 am

My son would like to apply to work on the Liner. How do we go about applying?