Home » Shipping News » Alang Autumnal

Alang Autumnal

Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2010 by

MAESTRO (ex RENAISSANCE) at Alang on November 13. Photo and copyright MidShipCentury.com 2010.

WINNER 5 (ex AUSONIA, IVORY) is now completely gone, her place on the beach taken by the half-demolished 1966-built MAESTRO (ex RENAISSANCE, HOMERIC RENAISSANCE, WORLD RENAISSANCE, etc.). In the neighboring plot, the largest ship ever to be scrapped, the supertanker MONT (ex VIKING JAHRE, etc.) has been reduced to a pile of rubble with one final section of frame still standing. The latest passenger ship arrival is ROYALE (ex CASTALIA, etc.), which was beached in early November. She will be joined soon by FLAMENCO I (ex SEAWARD, SPIRIT OF LONDON, SUN PRINCESS, STARSHIP MAJESTIC, SOUTHERN CROSS, FLAMENCO, NEW FLAMENCO) which was sold for scrapping after over a year in layup off Singapore. Another seemingly doomed classic, the spectacular ANCONA (ex SVEA, etc.) of 1966, was sold for scrap last month but the deal apparently was suspended due to a lull in the steel market.

Update: New reports state ANCONA was to be beached for scrapping on December 16. With thanks to Len Kinap.

For more details and images please click here to access MidShipCentury.

42 Responses to Alang Autumnal

1. max

December 8, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Alang is certainly busy these days, aren’t they? This contrast the site at its lowest capacity in 2006 with the SS Blue Lady Saga. The demise of the SS Blue certainly gave the industry a boost to the system. Everyone is working had to break up as many ships as possible that what the capacity will allow. Seeing one ship along side one another at different stages of demolity is true gut wrenching. Nevertheless, Alang is certainly the graveyard for ships.

December 8, 2010 at 10:20 pm

BLUE LADY has nothing to do with Alang’s current activity, which is a reflection of recent high steel prices. Prices are going down now, so many plots will go vacant after this latest rush. A bit too late for most of the 2010 casualties.

3. max

December 10, 2010 at 12:15 am

Hi Peter,
    It’s strange that the AUSONIA,RENAISSANCE, and Saga Rose went to the scrapyard. Yet, the SS Emerald was spared instead of the former Sagafjord. With that said, have you been able to confirm the whereabouts on the Saga Rose in China as to whether or not the ship is broken up?

December 10, 2010 at 12:43 am

SS THE EMERALD is SOLAS compliant. The others are not. Louis is trying to sell the ship for further service or use as an hotel, if possible. She is still in excellent condition. I would guess SAGA ROSE went quickly once she got to China. From what I understand, they waste no time.

December 10, 2010 at 5:36 am

The previous set of regulations for ships to be deemd SAFE for passengers at sea were implemented in the early 1970’s. The Vistajord was built in the 1970’s, as were the first three Royal Viking ships, and so were the new builds for RCCL and two of the “white flleet” ships of NCl, as well as Cunard Ambassador, Countesss and Princess, not to be left out, Flagship Cruises, which led to Princess Cruises Pacific Princess, as well as others. These ships survive because they were compliant to the then safety concerns, and meet current standards, for now

I know nothing about Louis Cruises, save for the fact that they take stewardship of the older cruise ships, bestow loving attention upon them and sail them at reasonable rates. If one is to moan Alang and other slaughter yards, one could perhaps look at Louis and admire what they are doing for these older ships, and giving them a chance to sail with new passengers, and be spared their ultimate fate. They too will find the cold sands of the wreckers beach one day. For now, applaud their late sailing careers.

6. max

December 10, 2010 at 8:46 am

I was surprised that the Saga Rose was sold for scrap because I thought that she was the ideal candidate for a hotel ship. As for the Mona Lisa, have you heard anything regarding the whereabouts on the ship. Also, I have read that the ship was either going to become a workers accomodation vessel or a 250 state room hotel ship in Oman. Which version of the rumor is true?

7. LenKinap

December 11, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Hello,

Hello,

Mona-Lisa is now owned DMSE-OMAN. This group has a lot of activities to develop and build a new touristic town at Oman. As long I’m well informed, the Mona-Lisa is not in their plans to be used or transformed into a luxury hotel but to be used as an accommodation vessel for their workers involved in the new touristic business near Oman. This PDF is old, but I have contacted them to have complete information.

December 12, 2010 at 10:29 am

Hi Len,

Thank you for the post. I’m sure a lot of people will be interested to learn what you find out. Looking forward to your update and, again, many thanks!

Peter

9. Johan

December 13, 2010 at 11:53 am

Hi guys!
    According to this post on Cruisingtalk who also claim to be quite well informed, Mona Lisa will be used as a kind of floating hotel moving around in the Gulf area. This is starting to be a little confusing as there are sources on different forums etc who claims either the accomondationship solution and some, including Mr Hallgren say she will be used as hotel.

10. LenKinap

December 15, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Maybe I’m not so well informed. The last reply I have received was for a 5 years contract between the touristic promoter located near Oman and DMSE. So it was for an accommodation facility for workers. Mona Lisa is not especially designed to do coastal service and the price to keep all her propulsive machinery just to do very small circuits (only allowed by her non-Solas 2010 compliance) is – for me- out of proportion. So I’m doubtful, but I will ask again.

But if there are others sources, they are welcome of course.

11. LenKinap

December 15, 2010 at 11:58 pm

By the way, Ancona is expected at Alang today (dec 16th) at plot 134 (by JM Baxi)

Mayur Steel Corporation
    245, Madhav Darshan, Waghawadi Road,
    Bhavnagar-2.

12. gregg

December 16, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Im shocked that the Spirit of London ex Flamenco has been sold for scrap. Im shocked, Im sure that little ship had more life in her. Must be in rough shape. I would really like to know why these ships arent really advertised much for sale. i think the shock is that we dont see them for sale and that by the time we see that they have been sold for scrap its too late.
    I think the public are going to be upset when all the older better styled cruise ships are gone. We will be left with these lego ships. The only new build that i think is attractive is the Celebrity Silhouette. That is one mighty fine looking ship…I will miss the little ex Sun Princess, Spirit of London, i went on her in 1974 . I liked the layout and she looked so modern but still had a classic look…im sad…I dont want to see her sister ships in Alang..that will be a travesty

13. Alan Mackenzie

December 17, 2010 at 7:37 am

Sorry, Greg, but speaking as a former P&O electrical/electronics engineer who served in Sun Princess back in 1980, the only surprise to me, is that she has lasted as long as this.

She was extremely cheaply built (£10 million in 1972, compared with £16 million for Canberra in 1960, even given the difference in size), with very light scantlings and tank-tops. In fact, eben when I was in her in 1980, when she was only 8 years old, the tank-tops were already showing signs of corrosion.

The internal fittings were also very shoddy, with light, pressed-steel cupboards, drawers and desks in the cabins. To be fair though, this was a very early example of the modern, fire-resistant cruise ship. In later vessels, notably the new Oriana (1995), the job was far better done.

I agree with you though, that she had a very attractive external profile, far superior to the ugly, slab-sided, top-heavy monstrosities that pass for cruise ships today. It is a shame that the “bean counters” rather than the naval architects, now invariably call the tune.

14. hoter

December 22, 2010 at 7:20 am

i saw there are some brokers seeking buyer for Flamenco now in the market.
    anyone know how much is it sold for scrap?

15. gregg

December 22, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Hoter, i heard she sold for a low 2 mill….amazingly the former owners paid 12.5 million not too long ago…what a waste….

16. Alan Dumelow

December 23, 2010 at 1:11 am

I had a lot of clients interested in her over the past 12 months, but the costs to put her right were prohibitive. She had been sat at anchor, cold, for two years, with no maintanance or machinery being turned over; all her class certificates had expired and, of course, she didn’t comply with SOLAS 2010. Add to that, the sellers couldn’t even guarantee she was free of asbestos.

Gregg: the owners bought her for US$ 7.5 million and were trying to sell her for US$ 3.5 million as is where is.

17. hoter

December 23, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Alan, is she available for sale now? do you know how to contact the owner? we are interested in this vessel to used as floating hotel in china.

18. Diego

December 29, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Does anybody know what is the fate for the Pacific? (The former Pacific Princess). Also the fate for the Ocean Pearl (The former Song of Norway) will these ships arrive to Alang shorly?

19. Alan Dumelow

December 30, 2010 at 12:09 am

Hoter
    Unfortunately, the MOA has already been signed so Flamenco’s fate is sealed. My last attempt to resurect her was for use as a floatel at Colombo, but, as you would have found, the Port Kelang authorities would not have let her sail without her class certificates being revalidated, including hull, which would have involved a drydocking: all very costly. Then, to put all her machinery, generators, electrics back in order. Then to try and reregister at time of change of owner. Add to this, undoubtable steelwork. Class may even have insisted you remove any asbestos first.

20. Alan Dumelow

December 30, 2010 at 12:19 am

Diego
    The Pacific is still sat at Genoa two years on, still with debts and lien oustanding. She has no maintanance crew onboard, so her engines and other machinery aren’t being turned over. Obviously all her Lloyd’s class certificates have now expired. She reportedly had sever plate corrossion and generator problems, but whether these were put right at the 2008 refit?

Ocean Pearl’s future (like her sister Aquamarine’s) is safe. Her charter to Quail was recently extended to December 2011 and there is a que of interest in her for 2012. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the third and youngest sister Long Jie, which has now been on the market two years. Long Jie, of course, is the sister that never got lengthened.

21. Gregg

December 30, 2010 at 10:24 am

Hi Alan,
    Where is the Pacific being held? Do you know if the ship is up for sale?
    Quaill cruises are advertising her for their current advertisements. so this is where Im getting confused.
    There is a group in Vancouver that do not want this ship scrapped, they would like to restore her here in Vancouver for a new concept cruise idea on the West Coast. Let me know we have not found anything on the internet about her, we did hear that she was being held but that debt was all paid off…

22. Alan Dumelow

December 31, 2010 at 1:44 am

Hi Gregg
    As mentioned to Diego (above), Pacific is sat in Genoa in cold lay-up.
    Quail (Happy Cryuises if you prefer) brought in Ocean Pearl as substitute and recently renewed her charter to end-Dec.2011.
    I understand Quail want US$20 million for Pacific as-is-where-is. It is rumoured she has severe hull plating corrosion and machinery defects. And, of course, all her class certs have expired. Expect to fork out another US$ 10 million on drydock, steelwork, machinery repairs, electrical, fresh water systems, etc. Then you have to gamble on finding a registry that will accept a 40-year-old ship.

23. Bob the Brit.

December 31, 2010 at 9:53 am

I have sailed on Pacific Princess’s sister ship, the former Island Princess [now called Discovery] on numerous voyages, and yes she may be 40 years old but she is still in fine shape. In fact I met up with Peter Knego on one of the voyages and I know that he wrote a quite complimentary blog about the ship. Of course she has none of the bells and whistles of the giant beasties that are being churned out now, but that’s probably what endears her to the many repeat passengers like myself. In fact I shall be joining the ship along with my “Maritime Memories” friends in Barbados in late March 2011, and bringing the ship back to Portsmouth five weeks later. Can’t wait!!

24. Gregg

December 31, 2010 at 11:35 am

Hi Alan,
    I believe thats about how much the Discovery ended up costing, and she was redone. That is an unrealisitic amount for a ship that has that much to be done to her, regardless of the notoriety.
    Does Quail actually own her. or is it the other Spanish company that has been playing ping-pong with the repair bills.

25. Gregg

December 31, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Quail will never get 20 million for a 40 yr old ship especially when the original price tag was 16 million new…

26. David Walker

January 1, 2011 at 5:44 am

Hi Peter, I have posted a small collection of pictures I have taken through the years, many of ships no longer with us and some that met their fate in Alang. Thought you and your readers might enjoy them!

27. me

January 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm

can you tell me what is whit ship ancona?

28. Gregg

January 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Hi David,
    thank you so much for posting the photos. i love the old ships, they are grand ladies that made you excited to go on a ship. No-one expected a balcony and rock walls, it was more about getting dressed up for dinner, dancing, strolling on the promenade, it was a romantic time when these ships were afloat, so thank you for bring back some memories of these grand ladies, I just wish one cruise company would pop out and cater to the public that like the old ships.

29. Alan Dumelow

January 1, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Hi Gregg,
    Well, Classic International Cruises are doing a grand job keeping five old timers cruising, although I really HATE the ducktail on the ex Stockholm. And Des Cox’s Maritime Memories are expanding with success. Come to think of it, since MM block charter Discovery, they might as well grab Pacific.
    And there are a couple of suprises coming in Spring that I can’t talk about.

January 2, 2011 at 5:01 am

For formal cruises, the obvious choice is still Cunard Line. They host several “galas” during their cruises and crossings. I sail Cunard for the reason that they are still traditional, and offer a proper afternoon tea, include ALL of the delectables at dinner in Britannia and the two Grills on the apporiate gala evenings. A STRICT dress code is enforced each evening, no exceptions, no excuses. Evening entertainments are aslo more traditional, and you will not find larger ballroooms nor larger orchestras than on the Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria nor Queen Elizabeth.

Another cruise line, around a long time, is Fred Olsen,. and they also offer a formal atmosphere, even though I have not, probably won’t, sail them. Still yet another is Swan Hellenic, with their lovely ship MS Minerva. Another, more obscure ship for Americans, is the Europa, Hapag Lloyds dynamic, elegant German ship. I use the refernce obscure, as the ship caters to a German clientel, although , menu’s will be printed in English. Crystal, a leader in the luxe market, and geared toward the North American passsenger, is still quite formal. and very elegant.

I sailed the SS France, loved her dearly, miss her, and I sailed the QE2, and loved her and miss her as well.

If you doubt my accounts for traditional or formal cruises, visit the above cruise lines web sites, order their FREE DVD, or, watch on line.

31. hoter

January 2, 2011 at 7:22 am

Hi, Alan,
    Thanks for your reply. I heard that the flamenco is still in Kelang. can you advise me your estimated costs for her to be floating hotel in colombo. i am freshman in the field. thank you very much.

32. Alan Dumelow

January 3, 2011 at 3:37 am

hi hoter,

For use as a floatel (ie: not SOLAS 2010 compliant), my technical partners estimated US$5 mil for drydock, steelwork, repairs and class certificates sufficient to get her from Kelang to point B. Plus purchase @ US$ 2.5 mil.

33. hoter

January 8, 2011 at 8:56 am

THANKS, ALAN.
    DID YOU GET THE OFFER OF SALE AT USD2.5MIL?

34. sinan kafadar

October 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Hello everyone,
    does anybody has the
    new photo of beautiful “spirit of london”in alang?
    is she still alive or ?

October 1, 2011 at 4:39 pm

She’s still at Singapore from what I am told, in terrible condition.

36. sinan kafadar

October 1, 2011 at 6:51 pm

thanks Peter,
    if you hear or see some new photos pls keep me post it.
    Sinan

37. Brennan Grady

November 12, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I would also like to see any photos of the Spirit Of London if anyone has some. She was the first ship I ever traveled on back when she was with Premier, but I unfortunately don’t have any pictures of her or her interiors

38. David L. NYC

November 14, 2011 at 10:51 am

Hi Brennan…some past and more recent photos of the MV Flamenco I can be found at Shipspotting.com. Here’s a direct link to an April 2011 photograph of the vessel taken during her lay-up in Malaysia. There’s nothing so sad as a once-grand ship neglected, rusted, and unwanted!

39. andrew

November 18, 2011 at 11:19 am

do you know anybody of you where is sapphire ship louis cruises and what is the future for sapphire

November 20, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Laid up at Eleusis. For more, see Emerald Of Eleusis blog from late 2010.

41. Brennan Grady

November 25, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Thanks so much for posting that David. I had my very first cruise on her many years ago when she was with Premier.

It may be an old superstition, but I am a firm believer that ships have souls. So I completely agree with you, it is so very sad to see them in such a state. Especially when you have a personal connection to the ship in question.

42. will maccormac

August 8, 2013 at 2:27 pm

jusr traced this ex swedish lloyd ship (ancona), rather sad to see its now probably gone forever. I used to sail on it every summer in the 70s as a kid.