Home » Featured » No Love For This Boat: Former PACIFIC PRINCESS Sold For Scrap – Updated

No Love For This Boat: Former PACIFIC PRINCESS Sold For Scrap – Updated

Posted on Thursday, March 8, 2012 by

The 19,903 gt, 600 passenger PACIFIC (ex SEA VENTURE, PACIFIC PRINCESS) has been sold for 2.5 million Euros to the Turkish company “Cemsan”, which specializes in ship breaking.

MV PACIFIC (ex SEA VENTURE, PACIFIC PRINCESS) at Genoa in 2010. Photo © Peter Knego 2010.

The 1971-built PACIFIC has been idle at Genoa’s San Giorgio del Porto shipyard since being seized by the Italian Coast Guard in 2009. PACIFIC last operated for Spanish-based Quail Cruises but was originally built for New York to Bermuda cruise service as Flagship Cruises’ SEA VENTURE. Between 1975 and 2002, she was Princess Cruises’ first PACIFIC PRINCESS and rose to fame as the official “Love Boat” on the US television series that ran from 1976 through 1986. The “Love Boat” and the PACIFIC PRINCESS are largely credited for stimulating international interest in cruising into what it is today.

PACIFIC will soon be towed to her final destination in Aliağa, Turkey.

UPDATE (via Peter Knego): March 20, 2012: PACIFIC (ex SEA VENTURE, PACIFIC PRINCESS) is currently being inspected by potential buyers who would preserve the iconic vessel as a floating hotel. Although such last minute reprieves tend to spring up with almost every doomed passenger ship these days, perhaps the former “Love Boat” has a big enough following to beat the odds…

Thanks to Peter Knego and Hans Hoffmann and Selim San.

93 Responses to No Love For This Boat: Former PACIFIC PRINCESS Sold For Scrap – Updated

1. Mark Dimond

July 27, 2012 at 1:33 am

Have many fond memories – was cadet & A/E mid 70′s on US West Coast to Alaska and Mexico (when the crew for the pilot film for the Love Boat series came on board for two weeks), and the first trans-Pacific for cruises out of Sydney. Poor lady often had trouble keeping the schedule due to heavy seas limiting speed. Have good memories of running the Bible studies for the passengers.

2. Don Vecchione

September 15, 2012 at 9:48 pm

September, 1984…my very first cruise was a 12 day Alaskan Cruise on this ship. To this day Princess is still my favorite cruise line. I shall never forget the magic and the memories that that vacation held in store for me. Thank you Princess Cruises…You will always be #1 in my book.

3. Erik Hong

October 7, 2012 at 8:23 am

Saw “The Love Boat, a few times! “Sort of “Cute-Stupid!”
    I worked on Aircraft Carriers, from 1966 to 1969! (Pretty much circled the world!) I “way later,” started Cruising With My Mom; “Always Princess/ From Fort Lauderdale, Fl. (She was 80′s then! We Cruised together through Mom’s 99th birthday!) (She wasn’t able to make our “100″ Cruise!
    Besides the U.S.N. (Close to 2 Years at sea, On Aircraft Carriers,) I have “Loved Princess- for 6 Cruises,(and 1 “Disgusting “Carnival Cruise,” where Lo class “Idiots,” Played with the whistles/ during Lifeboat Drill! (I will stay with Princess!)

4. steven Taylor

October 7, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Very Sad news about the ‘love boat’ going to her grave, i loved seeing her (and the old Sun Princess) when we met up while i was working on the Sea Princess… sad to see the old girls dropping 1 by 1 :(

October 7, 2012 at 5:53 pm

She hasn’t gone yet…

–Peter

6. Siobhan O'Neill

October 14, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Just happened across a re-run ep of The Love Boat and wondered what happened to the ship. I do hope it got its reprieve and will become that floating hotel. She was a beautiful little ship – when cruise ships still looked like ships rather than floating buildings. The show did so much for the cruise industry and a 10 year run is no mean feat in television, plus so many luminaries and legends of Hollywood actually walked this ship’s decks when filming the special location eps to Europe, Alaska, Panama, the Caribbean and Far East … the Pacific Princess deserves to remain a piece of living history. It’s a legacy that sure worked for the Queen Mary!

7. Rob DeLisle

October 15, 2012 at 8:18 am

So sad to see the beautiful ships meet their demise this way. SS Norway was the hardest for me to see go away. I still have many fond memories of these ships.

8. John Lawrenson

October 15, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Wishful thinking I know, but I am still hoping that she is purchased and restored. I imagine though that the restoration costs would be more than building a new one. Was the asbestos removal completed? I would be first in line for a ticket if she were ever to return to service.

9. Andrew

October 16, 2012 at 1:47 am

As I hv info louis Calypso is sold.
    Who is new owners Louis Calypso? Scrappers?

October 20, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I hope they can save the ship, and keep it as a floating hotel.
    The ship is a icon.

11. john

November 6, 2012 at 7:11 pm

my family an i just returned today from a princess 2 week cruze an we loved the rerun shows of the ol pacific they showed onboard an if she makes it to her new life as a hotel we absolutly will be getting are tickets!!!!

November 7, 2012 at 7:42 am

Nice of Princess blatantly showing old runs of the PACIFIC PRINCESS.

Maybe Captain Stubing could serve tea on the poop deck.

Princess, as it is today, in MY mind, has no right to show or use any “Love Boat” themes on their Carnival ships. But, Carnival does as it pleases.

Princess and the “Love Boat” died off long ago, and the memories are just what they are, old reruns, reruns of a ship that had 1% or LESS of her interiors filmed for the TV show. Actually, the stars of the day are what the memories are, Ethel Merman, for one, and legions of others that are long gone.

Glad you enjoyed the old footage, perhaps that is a legacy, and, check out TV Land for even more reruns.

13. Knut H Brekke

November 8, 2012 at 10:16 am

Sailed on the “Sea Venture” as first officer in 1974-1975, before the British owned Princess Cruises took ownership and changed her name to “Pacific Princess” I was the last Norwegian Officer to disembark at Newport News shipyard VA April 1975. Capt. Hauge had already left with his luggage full of souvenirs however, the Brits gave me the last Flagship Cruises flag flown on the vessel… still have it to this day. She was a grate ship, have many happy memories from voyages between New York and Bermuda!

14. Dirk Steffen

November 9, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Thought about our cute little Love Lady just days ago. I know it seems very unlikely due to financial reasons but I think she has the potential for good further use. I’d make some changes to the ship:

1.) Add balconies to cabins 105 – 120 like added to AIDAcara.
    2.) Except for the single cabins, replace Promenade Deck cabin windows with French balconies.
    3.) Remove life boats 3, 4, 5, 6 and replace with inflatable life rafts. Replace open boats by enclosed ones.
    4.) Remodel Boat Deck like on DISCOVERY and replace officers’ cabins with passenger cabins and suites. Add small balconies to each of them as long as davits and winches are not in the way (see what Fred. Olsen did on BLACK WATCH and BOUDICCA).
    5.) Convert outer parts of forward observation / Promenade deck to private verandahs for Suites 103 + 104.
    6.) Extend glass screens on Sun / Lido Deck to the very end; glass in full width of this deck aft, cover and create a large oceanview gym in this space. Connect to Spa area on Boat Deck below by spiral staircase. Almost like DOSCOVERY but slightly larger and different layout.
    7.) Extend widened sections of pool area to in front of the tender boats, so follow the shape of Observation Deck (Magrodome area) above. Extend passenger sunning area aft to the very end (new gym below).
    8.) Convert Pirates’ Cove / Hideaway Bar to 1950′s American style diner. Create window in blukhead facing the port side indoor promenade for at least some daylight and views. Use port side indoor promenade as extension for diner if needed.
    9.) Enlarge Starlight Lounge by 50% forward and convert to fulltime buffet restaurant. Keep about 3 metres / 9ft. of open deck space forward for outdoor dining and viewing.

I also reworked an already reworked drawing of PACIFIC, but since I am at work right now I cannot post it here. Will add a link to this picture later.

What do you all think of my ideas? As I wrote, it is all very unlikely since it would cost a small fortune combined with the still-to-do structural work, but hey, let’s dream a little, okay?

15. Dirk Steffen

November 9, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Here comes the promised link. Never mind her funnel colours and name; I had once envisioned the PACIFIC as a replacement for MONA LISA (ex-KUNGSHOLM) on the German market:

(Drawing scanned from a 1986 Princess brochure and reworked with PhotoStudio 5)

16. Kalle Id

November 10, 2012 at 5:34 am

Dark, that concept is really rather splendid! The big question is of course if such an investment in a fairly old ship is worthwhile. On the other hand she is the age of the BOUDICCA and BLACK WATCH and those ships have been reworked fairly recently…

November 10, 2012 at 6:19 am

As I remember, and having sailed on these ships pre and post rebuilding, as Royal VIKING ships, the BLACK WATCH, nee ROYAL VIKING STAR and BOUDICCA, nee ROYAL VIKING SKY, were extensively rebuilt in 1982, with mid section added, enlarged main dining room (still allowing for the coveted one seating at dinner), new casino, penthouse suites, balconied cabins, new pool, new gym, new spa et cetera….. The third ship for RVL, the SEA, was not rebuilt. However, to my minds eye, the expanded portion of the main dining rioom looked and felt shoddy, a true afterthought, an addition not well carried out. THe new cabins and suites were to die for.

The rebuilding of these ships for RVL was not at all popular for their loyal following, I loved them, pre and post rebuilding. When the ROYAL VIKING SUN entered service, the loyal following fled to her. Happily, she sails today as the PRINSENDAM. Also, luckily, all Royal Viking ships, even their attempt at the yacht style of cruising with ROYAL VIKING QUEEN, are still sailing with new owners and names.

The AIDA ship was built I guess, in the 1990′S, as she is now, I do not think she was rebuilt or rennovated to any great extent.

This is almost like beating a dead horse. Who would undertake such a venture as presented above?

18. Clive Harvey

November 10, 2012 at 9:20 am

Kenneth, The Royal Viking Sea was rebuilt, like her sisters, with the addition of a 91 foot mid-section. This increased her gross tonnage to 28,018 and her passenger capacity to 812. The work was carried out by AG Weser Seebeckwerft, Bremerhaven, which was where the other ships underwent similar work. RV Sea arrived there on 11 March 1983 and on the 5 June she was re-delivered back to Royal Viking Line.

19. Kalle Id

November 10, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I think Kenneth is mistaken the RV SEA for the SUN VIKING. Which happens occasionally to me as well. Two very similar three-ship series built around the same time by the same shipyard to companies that both have “Royal” in the name, and in both cases the ships were lenghtened. Except for the SUN VIKING. Confusing much?

20. Dirk Steffen

November 10, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Kenneth, as I wrote it is my wishful thinking and fantasy. I do not expect anybody to spend that much money on PACIFIC, even if I’d like that so much.

AIDAcara dates back to 1996 and was built without balconies. They were added around the year 2002 and were done so nicely that you couldn’t tell they are not original. Since they follow the curves of the superstructure they don’t spoil the ship’s looks.
    This is what I envision for PACIFIC…additions that don’t spoil her. But sure – this wont happen :(

November 11, 2012 at 6:36 am

Dirk

I have envisioned many ships for future use, as you clearly and beautifully presented. I was not being snarky, believe me.

Thanks for the tips on AIDACARA and her balconies, which I was unaware of. Aida is not that well known here in the states.

November 11, 2012 at 6:43 am

Kalle

The SUN VIKING was one of the trio for Royal Caribbean Cruise Line way back in the 1970′s. Then, RCCL, now RCI, stretched the SONG OF NORWAY and NORDIC PRINCE

Royal Viking ships were ROYAL VIKING SEA STAR SKY QUEEN SUN

All those Vikings and astral names can be confusing!

23. Nelson Blanchfield

November 11, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Is there any news about the ship being resold?

24. john

January 13, 2013 at 6:40 pm

any up dates on this beautiful ship?

January 13, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Unfortunately, nothing firm. I know the yard is trying to sell her quickly, which does not bode well for her future. Also am not sure if some of her parts were pillaged for DISCOVERY (ex ISLAND PRINCESS), which was in dry dock next to PACIFIC. Time will soon tell.

–Peter

26. Graeme Stewart

January 15, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I’ve just seen your post peter and i am visiting this ship tomorrow im currently working on its sister ship now called Discovery in the same ship yard during its dry dock period and it looks like some of the fixtures and fittings could be used. It would be nice if they were as Discovery will operate for some years to come and at least a piece of her would remain at sea. will keep all you enthusiasts updated

January 15, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Thanks, Graeme. Please do keep us posted! All my best to you and the beautiful DISCOVERY! — Peter

28. Graeme Stewart

January 18, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I have now made 2 visits to the Pacific which is now owned by San Giorgio Porto shipyard in Genoa and I have been told that the ship is indeed to be sold for scrap owing to severe lack of maintenance over the 2 years she has been here.
    I had a good look around all her decks and I don’t believe looking at her structure it would be feasible to use her even as a floating hotel.
    I believe that some parts from the ships engine room have already been taken off her for use on discovery.
    I have read every single post on this web site and it has been great to see that so many people have made so many wonderful comments (some of them moving) about this great vessel, I hope discovery can last at least another 5 years before her fate is decided and that as many people as possible can enjoy the hospitality that her V ships and new owners CNV provide.
    As a contractor who maintains her lifesaving equipment I will try to keep her in the best safest possible condition until her retirement.
    I managed to take 11 photos of this magnificent cruise ship, mainly outside decks as it is now on emergency power and very dark inside, but i would need a link or email address to post them too. If any one is interested please leave a comment and i will forward them on
    if there are any further developments i will keep you all informed.

29. Ed Frazier

January 18, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Graeme Stewart,
    Thank you for all you and Peter have done. If you don’t mind I would love to see any pictures of the Pacific you have of recent. Both inside and out.
    Thanks,
    Ed Frazier
    kite1268@gmail.com

30. john

January 23, 2013 at 2:40 pm

thank you peter i would also love some pics . my email is
    redneckderbynut@hotmail.com

31. Kevin Pre

January 25, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I also would be very appreciative of this batch of pictures…

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

BostonGuitar@charter.net

32. Graeme Stewart

January 27, 2013 at 1:46 am

I am still on Discovery but Internet is very slow here so email of pictures is not possible at the moment. As soon as I get back to the UK next month will send them to every one has requested them

33. Hank

January 28, 2013 at 10:39 am

I would love some pictures as well.

My e-mail is:

hankh8090@gmail.com

34. Lorne Kuny

February 14, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Hi Peter,
    Would love to see your pictures, if you could email them that would be awesome!!!!
    ljkuny@telus.net
    Thank you very much!!!!!

35. Fred Smith

February 18, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I would really love to see any pictures you have. Many many thanks.
    captaincranberryman@hotmail.com

36. Graeme Stewart

February 21, 2013 at 3:37 am

Ok Guys im back in UK now and have sent the pics I have of pacific to all that have requested them. They are in a zip file if any one has any problems unzipping or any one else would like copies my email is driller2000@gmail.com

37. Frits Groen

February 23, 2013 at 5:19 am

Graeme Stewart,
    Thank you for all your updated information. If you don’t mind I would love to see any pictures of the Pacific you have of recent. Both inside and out.
    Thanks,
    Frits Groen

groenn@ziggo.nl

38. Graeme Stewart

February 23, 2013 at 11:17 am

The file size of the pictures is 19 Mb and some of the servers are rejecting them. If you requested the pics and didnt get them please let me know and i will split the file size over 2 emails. driller2000@gmail.com

February 23, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Hi, also, in case you did not see it yet, you can see a fully illustrated report from a recent visit to the PACIFIC here on MaritimeMatters: http://maritimematters.com/2012/06/visit-to-the-former-pacific-princess/

All the best, Peter

40. Karleen

April 7, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Could you please send me the photos you have, as I am a huge ‘Love Boat Fan’

41. Al

August 8, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Peter (Knego)..are you heading on out to Turkey to see what can be bought as salvagable itesm. She was my as a crew member, and so I would be interested to find out what can be got. I have already contacted the breaklers yard to enquire.

August 9, 2013 at 8:35 am

Sad day today from the news-speak standpoint.

“The Love Boat” the popular TV series I would guess prompted these reports today, the ship is on its way to the bone yard, it was sighted and given her obit on TV this morning, said the breaker paid $3.5millionUS for her, too expensive to convert so it was stated, picture shown looked like she was under tow, (?) listing to port, of course there was no verification or credit to where the picture came from. Might see it on NBC site.

43. Mervyn Farmer

August 12, 2013 at 3:30 pm

The Pacific Princess I WORK ON THIS SHIP LOOK AT FILM ON YOUTUBE UNDER mervyn farmer films