Home » Featured » Royal Caribbean Reveals Unique New Features of QUANTUM OF THE SEAS

Royal Caribbean Reveals Unique New Features of QUANTUM OF THE SEAS

Posted on Friday, April 19, 2013 by

Royal Caribbean Reveals Unique New Features Of  QUANTUM OF THE SEAS

By Shawn J. Dake

QUANTUM OF THE SEAS rendering low_1365787357_Quantum-Exterior-4-keynote RCI

We have gotten used to hearing about the latest innovations with the introduction of each new cruise ship. With the latest Royal Caribbean entry QUANTUM OF THE SEAS slated to arrive in the Fall of 2014, the future will be here sooner than expected. This ship truly contains some fascinating, forward thinking ideas about what a vacation at sea has become and what it can be.

Royal Caribbean International has unveiled the first details of their next generation of cruise ships which they label “Quantum cruising.” The QUANTUM OF THE SEAS will be followed by a 167,800 gross ton sistership the ANTHEM OF THE SEAS due in the spring of 2015. Each ship will carry 4,180 passengers based on double occupancy in 2,090 staterooms offering a wide range of accommodations for couples and families. The total increases to 4,905 passengers at maximum capacity. Spanning 18 decks, the Quantum-class of ships will take a dramatic leap forward, introducing more “firsts at sea” such as a simulated skydiving experience; an aerial pod that transports guests more than 300 feet in the air on a breathtaking journey above and beyond the ship; cutting-edge transformative venues including the largest indoor sports and entertainment complex at sea with bumper cars, roller skating and more; and the cruise line’s largest and most advanced staterooms ever. These new, larger staterooms are nine percent larger than equivalent cabins on the Oasis-class, enabling innovation in design, storage and comfort including the industry’s first virtual balconies. Every stateroom on Quantum of the Seas will have a view, even the interior ones, where reality is replaced by virtual reality.

QUANTUM OF THE SEAS, RCI-NorthStar-Interior-

“This new generation of ships gave us an opportunity to make another leap in vessel design. Innovation has always been part of our DNA and we have taken advantage of all that creativity to design Quantum cruising,” stated Richard D. Fain, chairman & CEO, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. “The unique features on Quantum will boggle our guests’ minds, but the real strength of the design is how our people have integrated all these diverse components to create a comfortable and exciting experience.” He added, “QUANTUM OF THE SEAS gave us an opportunity to innovate in yet a whole different way and bring to bear new design techniques, new technologies; it gave us a whole new platform to exercise our imagination on.” Harri Kulovaara, the executive vice-president of Maritime and Newbuilding at Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd., went on to say “QUANTUM OF THE SEAS, I think is clearly a quantum leap forward. We don’t settle for something what has been done before. We don’t get satisfaction out of that. We really want to do something that is extraordinary.”

QUANTUN OF THE SEAS, NorthStar exterior, RCI aerial

Future passengers will clearly be the judge of their success in producing a ship that offers something different and unique. Perhaps the most visible feature will be the North Star, a jewel-shaped, glass capsule that takes guests to new heights – literally – lifting and transporting them on a spectacular journey 303 feet above the ocean and over the sides of the ship to deliver 360-degree aerial views of the ship and the sea.  The design is said to have been inspired by the London Eye.

QUANTUM OF THE SEAS rendering RCI-NorthStar-Exterior-5K-No-Antenna

QUANTUM OF THE SEAS_RCI-RipCord Sky Diving experience

Other thrill seekers will be delighted with RipCord by iFly, the first skydiving experience at sea which allows everyone from first-time flyers to seasoned skydivers to enjoy the sheer thrill and exhilaration of skydiving in a safe, controlled, simulated environment. A huge structure near the aft end of the ship houses the complex where guests will be able to free fall, held aloft by a blowing cushion of air.

QUANTUM OF THE SEAS, SeaPlex-Rollerskating-5K RCI

Moving indoors, the innovations continue within three notable venues. SeaPlex is the largest active interior space at sea. It is a multi-use location that serves as a flexible sporting and entertainment venue with an interesting array of new features. By day, guests of all ages can experience a circus school with flying trapeze, or play basketball on a full-size regulation basketball court which can also be utilized for volleyball, soccer or badminton. By night, the first-ever bumper car experience at sea brings passenger ships one step closer to being floating amusement parks. It can also be used as a roller rink at sea for the fun and excitement of skating. Still later at night, guests can dance to music orchestrated from a floating DJ booth which hovers above the activity below.

QUANTUM OF THE SEAS, SeaPlex-BumperCars RCI-5K

QUANTUM OF THE SEAS MusicHall rendering RCI 2013

The Music Hall is another late night venue that hosts live music performances and DJ entertainment. The two-deck high design is said to be inspired by the spirit of rock and roll; rebellious and edgy. Presumably without the excesses that have been epitomized by so many real rockers over the years. In addition to the intimate live performances, this locale will host theme night parties, tables for billiards and more.

QUANTUM OF THE SEAS, RCI-Two70-Night-5K

In early renderings, Two70° appears to have the potential of being one of the most beautiful public rooms on any ship at sea. By day it is designed to be a comfortable, modern living room space for guests to sit back and relax with expansive views of the sea. The space is aptly named for its magnificent 270-degree panoramic ocean views through vast, floor-to-ceiling glass walls spanning almost three decks at the stern of the ship. A transformation takes place in Two70° as time passes from day to night. As the sun sets and the lights go down, the dazzling space gradually reveals its evening persona, promising to delight guests with spectacular, mysterious and unexpected entertainment after dark. It seamlessly fuses entertainment and technology to create a multidimensional show experience and immerses the audience through a combination of live performers, including aerialists, as well as breathtaking video and digital scenery. The expansive glass windows looking out at the ocean by day, can become a forest or any setting at all by night, serving as a backdrop to spectacular shows. Two70° is almost certain to become one of the most iconic venues onboard Quantum class, and a space by which all other cruise lines will measure their lounge and entertainment areas.

QUANTUM OF THE SEAS Two70, RCI rendering

Besides these new entertainment options and venues, Royal Caribbean guests will still find their old favorites that they have come to expect on the massive newer ships. There’s still the rock climbing wall and the FlowRider which is a wave surfing ride. An adults-only Solarium, along with an outdoor pool, a new indoor pool with sliding domed roof and a H2O Zone kids’ aqua park, will be featured on the top deck. The ship will provide the most flexible dining options and more specialty restaurants than ever before.

QUANTUM OF THE SEAS rendering RCI-Balcony-Stateroom-5K

Where you sleep is every bit as important as where you play and Royal Caribbean is promising accommodations that are on average more spacious and luxurious than on other equivalent ships, including their own. The stateroom design, layouts and finishes are being planned to create the atmosphere of a home away from home. For multi-generational families, Family-Connected staterooms deliver a good deal of flexibility, using three different stateroom categories which connect to form a special layout that provides separate bedrooms and bathrooms for all. These accommodations allow families and groups of friends traveling together to enjoy the best of both worlds when it comes to spending time together and yet having sufficient privacy. Following up the successful introduction of single cabins on the rival NORWEGIAN EPIC, Royal Caribbean will introduce their own more upscale version of new “Studiostaterooms, some with balconies for single travelers. Often overlooked, the lowly inside cabin is being re-branded as “Virtual Balcony Staterooms.” Instead of looking at a blank wall or being shut in a dark cabin this design concept brings virtual balconies to the 373 interior staterooms offering expansive real-time views of the ocean and port destinations. On the upper end of the scale QUANTUM OF THE SEAS introduces the largest variety of stateroom categories including three Junior Suite categories with a split bathroom concept, Owner’s Suites with separate bedroom and living areas and larger Loft Suites.

It has already been announced that stage, television and film star, Kristin Chenoweth will serve as Godmother of the QUANTUM OF THE SEAS. The ship will be 1,141 feet (348 meters) long and 136 feet (41 meters) wide with a draft of 28 feet (8.5 meters). Cruising speed will be 22 knots. Registry will be at Nassau, Bahamas. The Quantum class ships are both being built at the Meyer Werft Shipyard in Papenburg, Germany. Following a trans-Atlantic delivery voyage QUANTUM OF THE SEAS will make it’s debut in fall 2014 with sailings out of New York Harbor from her homeport of Cape Liberty, New Jersey on 7- to 12-night itineraries during the winter 2014/15 season. Bookings will be available to past-guest Crown & Anchor Society members starting May 27, 2013 before opening to the general public on June 4th. With so many new ships constantly being introduced, each touting something more special than the previous entrant, it is easy to become a bit jaded. But if the QUANTUM OF THE SEAS matches up to what is on the designer’s computers and sketch pads, this may truly be a ship of the future to watch.

QUANTUM OF THE SEAS aerial rendering stern, RCI

All images courtesy of Royal Caribbean.

20 Responses to Royal Caribbean Reveals Unique New Features of QUANTUM OF THE SEAS

1. Kalle Id

April 20, 2013 at 2:46 am

I am absolutely delighted with the way these new ships use glass to give passengers a view of the sea outside. If there is one thing that can be said as a criticism of the horizontal atrium concept favoured by RCI in their ships of the past decade+, it is the fact the arrangement tends to make the ship introverted. Here the line are going in an opposite direction, which I find very good. The North Star capsule also seems like a splendid idea. I would particularly love to take a ride in it in a place like the Stockholm archipelago, that would be splendid indeed.

There are some features that to me sound like they will be misses (the “virtual balconies” for instance), but overall Quantum of the Seas does sound like the most exciting ship coming in the near future. Even if I still don’t like the name.

2. Dave Garnett

April 20, 2013 at 3:56 am

Great job!!! Can’t wait.

3. Andrew

April 20, 2013 at 5:59 am

A block of flats with added gimmicks.

What about safety – I bet there are no longitudinal watertight bulkheads in the engine rooms so that a hull gash floods the lot as in the Costa Concordia. As this is a lot taller than the Concordia, is it safer or easier to capsize? Have they split the cross=corridors to prevent the accidents when the Concordia went on its side with the passengers falling don the new shafts?

I’d rather not be on this in heavy weather.

4. matt tuman

April 20, 2013 at 8:41 am

These new ships are getting alittle too wierd for my taste. Crusing used to be about getting away from the world, not bringing it with you. Just give me a lounge chair on a real teak deck, a tasty cocktail and a premium cigar. Enjoying the sounds and smells of the sea. The simple pleasures of life. I miss the old ships!

5. Steve Tucker

April 20, 2013 at 9:10 am

When other cruise lines are struggling to just stay in the water, Royal Caribbean is kicking things up a notch. Instead of just outdoing the rest of the industry, their now outdoing themselves! Makes me proud that I’m a Crown and Anchor Society Diamond Member and will keep me and my family coming back time and time again. Royal Caribbean and their daughter company, Celebrity exemplify what cruising is, what it should be and where it is going!!

We love you Royal Caribbean!!

6. Avery Boyer

April 20, 2013 at 10:35 pm

QUANTUM is just more “bigger, better” not anything revolutionary. A capsule on a crane doesn’t change the way I think about cruising, in fact it reinforces all the prejudices I already have. These days the ships are the destinations themselves. Cruising and sea travel used to be just that, travel. Now these ships might as well just go sail in circles for a week and return to port, for all the passengers care. Obviously this suites most people just fine as the industry keeps moving in that direction. This ship represents mere evolution, not any kind of revolution.

7. Paul Lewis

April 21, 2013 at 5:18 am

I realise these modern cruise vessels are wonders of technology etc. but, to be quite frank, I find the relentless hedonism of the modern (Western) world, as exemplified in these ships, to be repellent.

All this has too many overtones of the last days of Rome to be comforting!

8. Michael Ryan

April 21, 2013 at 6:22 am

Roller skating at sea is a terrible idea without proper safety equipment! I was doing so with the crew of Carnival Magic this past year, and lasted about ten seconds before I broke my elbow :p

9. Kenenth Eden

April 21, 2013 at 6:28 am

It all comes down to a matter of taste, regardless of whether some one likes or dislikes the new QUANTUM (despicable name).

The ship as a matter of getting from point A to point B is long over, since anyone on nearly any budget, can and has been able to get to points A and B for years. Europe, Caribbean, Aisa, et al, et cetera ad nauseum.

Today the cruise ship is the destination, as it has been for me for years. The new enticements are just that, as they have been for RCI for a while now. Lets not forget the Viking Crown Lounge, quite a feat way back, or the on board skating rink and rock climbing wall.

Some of these new innovations found on QUANTUM may actually prove more popular than anything else around – I for one would enjoy the North Star, I like bumper cars, I may enjoy a simulated “skydive” – and I love the traditional ships, yet, there is a certain pull to this new innovative ship.

Closer to home for many in North America, the Caribbean itself is now struggling to keep up with cruise ship passengers, less are stating on the islands, as more cruise to them.

This is a clear as day point, that there is something for everyone now at sea, and mores the better.

10. Alan Mackenzie

April 21, 2013 at 7:52 am

To Andrew, Matt & Paul,

between you, you’ve said all the things I am thinking, so I won’t repeat them! These mega-ships are ghastly and you’ll not catch me anywhere near one. Oh for the days of the old liners, restrained, refined, elegant and a realistic size with a sensible number of passengers.

One of these days, I very much fear, something dreadful will happen to one of these monsters, with a casualty figure that will put Titanic in the shade – and will knock the bottom out of the cruise industry.

11. Kellau

April 21, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I am 61 and I can’t wait to travel on this ship!!!!!

12. Kalle Id

April 22, 2013 at 11:03 am

I have said it before and I probably shouldn’t say it again: I grow very, very tired of this constant panic-mongering about modern-day ships being too large. The third comment in this thread is particularly offensive with “I bet there are no longitudinal watertight bulkheads in the engine rooms so that a hull gash floods the lot as in the Costa Concordia”. Yes, of course RCI have puposefully violated the current SOLAS regulations (which to my understanding require all new ships to have longitudial bulkheads in the engine room).

And when it comes to size somehow making ship more vulnerable… within the last two decades there have been three (potentially) fatal accidents with cruise ships hitting the ground: the SALLY ALBATROSS in 1994, the SEA DIAMOND in 2007 and the COSTA CONCORDIA. Of the three, the CONCORDIA is the only mega-ship so dreaded by commenters here, whereas both the ALBATROSS and DIAMOND were modestly sized at around 20 0000 GT. In all cases the accident was caused by either a navigational error or human stupidity, not by a design flaw. And most importantly, in all three accidents over 99% of passengers carried survived; even on the supposedly terrible COSTA CONCORDIA the death toll was only 0,8%. Unacceptable, certainly, but still extremely small.

13. Leonard Maughan

April 23, 2013 at 1:03 pm

It’s barely a ship – a little too big and a few too many gimmicks.

14. Pedro

April 23, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Hi,I am Pedro from Panama city Panama in central America . I will start to earn a lot so my parents could take me to that EXTRAORDINARYYY CRUISE SHIP I have been to the Freedom of the seas twice and to the Allure of the seas butttttttttt nothing compare to the Quantum of the seas the most beautiful cruise and large cruise i had seen i WILL go to this cruise ship!!!!!! REMEMBER I AM YOUR #1 fan from Panama !!!

15. Griff

April 24, 2013 at 5:33 am

Bumper Cars? LOL

16. Greg Coiro

April 26, 2013 at 12:54 pm

My agency, which is based in Long Island, NY is counting the days until the introduction of the Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas. This ship will be a welcome change to replace the Explorer of the Seas, which currently sails from Cape Liberty. Our team is so excited, that we have even created a dedicated website at http://www.quantumoftheseascruise.com. Can’t wait until November 2014!

17. Kenenth Eden

April 27, 2013 at 5:40 am

Greg Coiro

How refershing to have someone involved in the cruise travel business actually be proud to represent a major and trend setting new ship.

All too often the chew is negative. If these new ships are so disdained, then why on the sea are new ones built? For the very reason that they are innovative and obviously will soon be very popular.

It is not a case of my tastes or his or hers or ……..it is the tastes of the passenger that will support the new ship.

RCI has been around a long time, still new compared to Cunard and HAL, but they (RCI) have set trends and tastes for several decades.

While I am not a fan of the RCI concept in cruising, I absolutely love their spin off product, Celebrity Cruises. In fact, we are soon sailing the SUMMIT.

18. Zach Z.

May 29, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Ok I agree with most of you, that this ship is a destination of it’s own, but think of it. If you want to cruise and just sit on the deck with a cigar, then do it. You do not have to go to the disco, or go sky diving, or use the bumper cars. OR YOU CAN JUST GO ON ONE OF THE OLDER SHIPS!!!! The Enchantment is a fine ship to just sit on. I for one will love this ship. I am only in my room for 45 seconds a day to sleep, then I am back out again. I will be going on my 10th cruise next week, and I have been to Labadee, cozume, and Falmouth about 8 times each, and I will only get off for the food at Labadee. I GO FOR THE SHIP ANYWAY!!!! I think Royal will always be the #1 in cruising. I have tried Carnival, Norwegian, and Disney, and they just do not cut it.

19. Kenenth Eden

May 30, 2013 at 6:10 am

Zach Z

Your enthusiasm is wonderful, and your loyalty to RCI is certainly strong. My enthusiam and loyalty, while they may be with different cruise lines, is also strong. This is just what the cruise industry is all about – loyalty and enthusiasm by repeat passengers.

20. Malcolm Oliver

January 19, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I appreciate that they are not everyone’s ‘cup of tea’, but Royal Caribbean design the world’s amazing ships. However I think Oasis class is difficult to beat. They have set their own bar very high.

Initially I though Oasis’s ‘Central Park’ was a pure gimmick, but it reality it is a lovely relaxing tranquil space. The Aqua-theatre and board-walk also work well.

however, I do wonder what Quantum will have for us adults. At the moment most of the innovations revealed are aimed at kids.

What can ‘Quantum’ give me that I cannot get from other RC ships?