Home » Featured » Updated With More Images: Ex PACIFIC PRINCESS Capsizing?

Updated With More Images: Ex PACIFIC PRINCESS Capsizing?

Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2013 by

The listing former “Love Boat” PACIFIC PRINCESS continues to take on water and is now close to capsizing at a Turkish scrapyard.

Keep up to date with Peter Knego on Twitter by clicking here

THE SANDS OF ALANG: Peter Knego’s new DVD about shipbreaking in Alang, India

All photos by and copyright Selim San 2013.

MV ACIF  this morning, heeling to starboard at 45 degrees. Next to her, the partially dismantled former Soviet cruise ship ROCHDALE ONE (ex AYVAZOVSKY, CARINA, PRIMEXPRESS ISLAND). Photo and copyright Selim San 2013.

MV ACIF this morning, heeling to starboard at 45 degrees. Next to her, the partially dismantled former Soviet cruise ship ROCHDALE ONE (ex AYVAZOVSKY, CARINA, PRIMEXPRESS ISLAND). Photo and copyright Selim San 2013.

Selim San reports that ACIF (ex SEA VENTURE, PACIFIC PRINCESS, PACIFIC) is now in danger of capsizing as the ship continues to hemorrhage at a scrapyard in Aliaga, Turkey.

20130814_102605 copy

MV ACIF listing dangerously to starboard at Aliaga.

MV ACIF listing dangerously to starboard at Aliaga.

The crippled vessel was towed from Genoa, Italy, arriving at the anchorage on August 6 and hurriedly beached the following day after taking on water during a storm. On Monday, two workers were killed and six injured by asphyxiation from gas exhaust due to a leaking sewage line during efforts to pump the flooded engine room.

ACIF-ROCHDALE-ONE-Aerial-copy

San, who has been photographing doomed ships at Aliaga for decades, stated, “İ am afraid the ship will capsize soon! Already lying 40-45 degrees starboard and still taking water! Nobody on board — too dangerous!”

Updated: August 15, 2013. With special thanks to Selim San.

Peter Knego spent a day documenting the PACIFIC at Genoa in May of 2012. Click here to see what PACIFIC was like in her final days.

Video from “Aşk Gemisi artık hurda” of former PACIFIC PRINCESS arriving at Aliaga, Turkey.

Other passenger ships at Aliaga:

Meanwhile, the remains of MV LOPI and SS ANTIC (ex FAIRSKY, SKY PRINCESS, PACIFIC SKY, SKY WONDER, ATLANTIC STAR) are disappearing quickly.

VENUS 14.8.13 copy

This is what is currently left of the MV VENUS (ex SOUTHWARD, SEAWING, PERLA, RIO, etc.)

48 Responses to Updated With More Images: Ex PACIFIC PRINCESS Capsizing?

1. Patricia Dempsey

August 14, 2013 at 10:05 am

That is just so sad, especially with those two workers killed as well. Those who work on them say ships have souls.

2. carol

August 14, 2013 at 10:42 am

Very sad indeed, this is not the soul this beautiful lady has had in her years at sea or the soul I felt the fist time I stepped on board when she was the Sea Venture.

3. Suzanne Childers

August 14, 2013 at 11:35 am

This hurts my heart. I lived in the most forward starboard side cabin on C Deck when I was a dancer on the Pacific Princess. We hit breakwater starboard side back in 1977 or 78 which tore a hole in her hull. It knocked me out of bed and onto the floor that morning. Seeing her list starboard like this sure makes me wonder.

4. matt arruda

August 14, 2013 at 1:17 pm

wish she sank at sea instead of this mess.

5. Judy Snee

August 14, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Peter, let’s round up a posse to rescue her. She was my home four years and it’s killing me to see this. Also met and married husband on her, so she is extra special. This ship was so different from any other I worked on – she had a life and soul and it’s killing me to see her like this.

6. Glenn Paull

August 14, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Patricia – I agree with your comment. Merchant Seamen who make their living on these ships often form an attachment to the vessel they call home for many months or years. They take on a persona unique to that ship. At the risk of sounding overly sentimental I have shed many a tear for a friend that has been sent to the breakers. I find solace to know there are many people that share my feelings.

7. Rob

August 14, 2013 at 5:20 pm

This is probably just confirmation that the authorities were wise not to let her head to sea in 2012, and the condition of her steel certainly didn’t improve over the past year.

8. Suzanne Berg

August 14, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Oh, this is heartbreaking!! I sailed (worked in the gift shop) on her in the 80′s. What a wonderful spirit she had. I heard that those that died on a ship, followed her for the rest of her days as an Albatross.

9. Corey palm desert

August 14, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I wish princess would of made her a hotel for preboarding passengers . The only two ships people know are the love boat and titanic . Maybe queen Mary . People would be amazed how cruiseships have evolved past twenty years.

10. Peter Bowcher

August 15, 2013 at 12:47 am

When we can’t even get this right it makes me wonder when the floating 130,000 + gross ton ships of today are going to be beached and scrapped in future ??

11. Doug Parker

August 15, 2013 at 9:57 am

Thanks for sharing these images. Such a tragedy to see but glad you were able to see her before she was torn apart. Great work friend.

12. Brenda

August 15, 2013 at 12:29 pm

So sad to see this ship like this…it was my home for 4 years as well and had the best time of my life on her.I wish they would just take her out to sea if possible and let her sink with dignity

13. Jeremy Holubek

August 15, 2013 at 2:33 pm

She’s not going without a fight.

14. Al G

August 15, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I wonder if anyone is attempting to counterflood her? I’m guessing that scrapping a ship on its side is significantly more difficult than scrapping one on an even keel?

Regardless, there’s only one outcome for her – to be decimated by torches and chains. Cross gently to that Valhalla of good ships, Acif.

15. derek pud hillman

August 16, 2013 at 3:07 am

I still have a piece of her in my lounge a piece of the ceramic from the skaal bar by a swedish artist that was thrown away in dry dock Ill treasure it even more

16. Philippe BREBANT

August 16, 2013 at 6:10 am

It’s worth than the ILE DE FRANCE fate in the late 50′ties. The beloved ex French Line vessel was sold to an american film producer for the “Last Voyage” drama which has been a flop movie starring Robert Stack and Dorothy Malone, both better known later for TV shows respectively “The Untouchables” and “Peyton Place” and the ship was sank in shallow waters off the Japanese coasts. Compairing the ILE was on her way an “untouchable” ship like the PACIFIC PRINCESS which made cruising enter into all world wide homes. Imagine also for French, the movie arrived in Paris almost by the time of delivery of the new SS FRANCE….

To see the PACIFIC go this way, with already 2 lives missing it’s so sad, if she will disappear too capsizing in Aliaga, I would have prefer to see her go in the high sea instead.

RIP PACIFIC PRINCESS !!

17. Debbie lenaghan

August 16, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Worked on the PP when I was a young woman , Life was good , we had the best times , met the best people . So sad to see her like this …but I will cherish the memories .

18. Rod Williams

August 17, 2013 at 5:11 am

I grew up with THE LOVE BOAT on TV. Who knew I would be working on the same ship years later. It’s sad to see this, had GREAT times in ALASKA on her.

19. Sean Sparks

August 17, 2013 at 11:53 am

Philip you do realise that the ILE DE FRANCE was sold by the French Line to Japanese ship breakers who then went onto to resell her to an American film studio so they could use her for the film ‘The Last Voyage’
    Of course the French were horrified by this last act on their beloved old ship but I cant see any parallel to what is happening to the former Pacific Princess.

As much as we all have our different memories of this once wonderful ship her time has come to be dismantled and it saddens me like anyone else to see her in this state.

Like eveything in life treasured memories live on but there was never going to be a future for her and after seeing the ship laid up in Genoa a couple of years ago it was inevitable that she would end up going to be scrapped.

When she was put up for auction two years ago with out any buyer it did not surprise me as the work needed to get her back into service far outweighed the initial asking price of only €3 million.
    I had actually been in contact with two other people with consideration of trying to purchase her but she was in such disrepair it wasn’t feasible.
    So the only alternative for her was the scrap yard.

20. Mandy Montague

August 17, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I was working at a hotel In Leeds 1978 watching Love Boat every Thursday night, and thought how do I go about getting a job on a ship? 1979 I was flying out to LA to join the IP, and later that year the PP. 14 years I was back and forth between the 2 ( + Sea P, RP, Oriana & Canberra). These photos bring tears to my eyes, remembering all those fantastic memories, and all the wonderful people I met and worked with, many of whom I’ve re-connected with on FB. thanks for all the memories……

21. Nelson Blanchfield

August 17, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I still can’t help wondering if this a ploy to scare off anyone with last minute attempts to save the ship. They know they have a very famous ship in their yard. And there are a lot of people that are not happy with what’s happening to her.

22. elias

August 18, 2013 at 12:25 am

Sean, i hope those people would be around and still interested in saving the Discovery /Island Princess,, when her time comes they got my support for sure

23. Scott

August 18, 2013 at 12:59 pm

The Ile de France was used in filming,but it was renamed for the film . You have to admit,it was a great movie . Anyways,I grew up watching ‘The Love Boat’ ,as I am 41. I kinda knew , after seeing the pics in Italy,that nobody was going to pony up the money needed to keep an almost 40 year old ship in passenger service.
    It does sadden me that two people were killed. They must not have an OSHA in Turkey . Sad to see her scrapped,though.

August 20, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Alas the pictures have been taken down – legal reasons? What a shame this wonderful ship has encountered tragedy with the deaths of the two workers. I loved the Love Boat on TV growing up and it really made an impression on me that a good ship can be a Happy Ship.

25. Sylvia Kellison

August 21, 2013 at 12:44 pm

My first cruise was on this ship, and it made me a cruise addict, mostly on Princess Cruises. There was one woman from Beverly Hills who lived 11 months of the year on her after her husband died. A Ship’s officer would escort her to dinner every evening. She sure beat my mere 39 cruises on Princess, including at least 5 each on Pacific and Island Princess. In some ports she needed to be winched in and out of the pier, not having the bow and stern thrusters of today. I first went through the Panama Canal in her. I am sorry she is gone.

26. Pat Reilly

August 26, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Did anyone notice the nameplate at the bottom of the topmost pic? You can see a grey plate with red letting: “Invincible” Was this the yard HMS INVINCIBLE was scrapped at?

August 26, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Good catch! Yes, the INVINCIBLE was broken up nearby. All the best, Peter

August 27, 2013 at 6:02 am

If a picture is worth a thousand words in these horrid yards,

total lack of respect

29. Kent

August 29, 2013 at 2:10 am

Sad to see a once fine ship end this way. I grew up watching Pacific Princess on the Love Boat like so many others. I’ve though in recent years if I could ever (unlikely since I’m three years disabled at the age of 47) come up with the money I’d want to go on a cruise on her. I figured what a great trip it would be, I haven’t been on a trip since my teens.
    I found all this sad new of her fate while just looking for info on her, made even more tragic by the loss of life in the final voyage.
    Although unlikely, perhaps somebody I might take a cruise on another ship, but it won’t be the same.

30. Tim

August 30, 2013 at 2:01 am

The former Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal, a sister ship to HMS Invicible, arrived at Aliaga under tow from Portsmouth on 10 June 2013 and is currently in an advanced stage of being broken up a few plots north of the plots where the former Pacific Princess and Sky Princess are located. The scrapping of both Invincible in 2011 and the Ark Royal this year created much furore in Britain and the third ship of the class HMS Illustrious is to be decommissioned in 2014 but may be retained as a museum ship.

31. Roland

October 3, 2013 at 3:43 pm

So sad to see two grand ladies of the sea at these yards.

I sailed three times on the Pacific Sky – a wonderful ship. The way cruise ships should be.

Watch the Pacific Princess on TV’s Love Boat series, which really started my interests in taking cruises.

Farewell you grand old ladies of the sea, and thanks for the good times.

32. Shaun Witten

October 29, 2013 at 5:05 am

I was lucky enough to sail on Pacific Princess to Bermuda in 2000. She was a great ship – at once a classic liner, and a modern cruise ship. It was really nice to dock directly in Hamilton and St. George’s. With only 600 passengers we enjoyed lots of space, and became well acquainted with many fellow passengers and crew. PP was what’s known at sea as a “happy ship”, even among crew who were aware of the more spacious accommodations and amenities they’d enjoy aboard larger Princess ships. I watched “Love Boat” as a kid and it fulfilled a dream to sail on her.

33. brian wisdom

November 10, 2013 at 12:57 pm

i worked on her from 1958 to 1990 as cabin steward what a great time

34. Clive

November 10, 2013 at 3:28 pm

1958? But she didn’t enter service until 1971.

35. Russ

November 17, 2013 at 6:26 pm

The Pacific Princess was amazing and it will never be forgotten but I don’t get why they had the scrap the Fairsky of 1984, it wasn’t even 30 and there was nothing wrong with it.

36. Clive

November 18, 2013 at 2:13 am

The former Fairsky had suffered several structural problems with her hull. She also had steam turbines which made her an expensive ship to run. Given her age it wasn’t economic to re-engine her.

37. Alan Dumelow

November 18, 2013 at 7:42 am

Russ: As you surely know, Fairsky had steam engines (not diesels) which were expensive to run and maintain. It would also have cost more than the ship’s worth to replace the machinery. Blame Mr Vlassov.

38. Kamiel

November 18, 2013 at 3:10 pm

The vessel on the right, Rochdale One (ex Ayvazovsky), was used as a student housing project in Amsterdam from 2004 until 2009 and I have had the great pleasure to live on there for well over 2 years, until the moment she was finally sold with unknown destination.

To see her now like this, and realizing she must be probably gone by now literally brings me to tears. :( Such amazing memories I have of this ship! I lived in a B deck cabin that had two large windows offering most wonderful view on Amsterdam harbour and all the large cruise ships passing by.

The piano bar was used by students to have dinner, watch football games and have the craziest parties. In summer we could use the deck chairs to enjoy the sun, have barbeques and party, party, party all night long. The atmosphere was pure magic.

Rochdale One was the ship where so many friendships have started, it was a place many of us called home. Rest in peace, Rochdale One. We will never forget those amazing years!

39. Bill Hall

November 24, 2013 at 6:06 pm

It is very sad to see this ship an icon to many people sit on her side with a future of hot torches awaiting to cut her to pieces. I think it would be more fitting to get the ship upright and into dry dock and start repairs right away. This ship which in its time promoted travel on cruise ships should not be allowed to slip away. The ship should be repaired whatever the cost and used again. I think of a cruise line could advertise that they have the real love boat and promote couples and families to take a trip on her say in the Caribbean to commemorate their wedding day and or anniversaries. It also could be a good ship to train on on a smaller scale. All aspects of people who work on these cruise lines could benefit in a smaller scale to start of with . I think it is time to put profits aside and do the right thing fix the Princess and sail her again.

40. Clive

November 25, 2013 at 1:21 am

Bill, if anyone had felt inspired to do as you suggest there was more than enough opportunity for them to have done so given the number of years this ship sat idle in Genoa. No matter how passionate one might feel about this ship one has to accept that she is now at the end of her life. Enjoy the fact that she had a lengthy and successful career and the fact that her sister ship (which was also used in the tv programme) is still in service.

41. Alan Dumelow

November 25, 2013 at 1:51 am

Bill Hall: Oooo, yes please Bill. Please put YOUR profits aside and do the right thing, fix the Love Boat and sail her again. Let’s see:
    $10 million to replace the leaking hull plating. $20 million to replace / refit the seized up machinery. $ 10 million to refurbish her. $ 5 million to re-Class and re-Registry her. Let’s call it a round figure $50 million. Nice one Bill.

42. Donovan Rubalcava

December 2, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Bill Hall,
    Come on! All is about money!!! what were you thinking, that Princess was a charity organization?

I also feel that they are scrapping my soul, and my main concern is that the classic cruises ships are about to disappear, theonly three that might be in good shape to keep in the fiels are the 3 royal vikings.. but the rest is about to be scrapped.

Capn Stubbing got to be crying and all the bunch of loosers that made that TV show possible!

43. Clive

December 2, 2013 at 3:23 pm

The fascinating thing is that no one who ever posts on here with their high-flown ideas ever says “Hey! I have $50 million dollars burning a hole in my back pocket, I’ll save this, that or the other ship. Oh, what the hell, here’s another $50 million to launch a new cruise line to operate her.”
    No, there’s always the expectation that someone else ought to do it, should do it, must do it!! Well, because I cannot bear to see this ship torn apart…….

44. tony

December 29, 2013 at 6:03 pm

sad, definitely the ship that launched cruising for many people.

I sure would love to get a piece for memorabilia ….. a room key would be nice

45. Sue Ryan

January 3, 2014 at 6:43 am

My husband and I had our honeymoon on the Pacific Princess in 1980. We had the Owner’s Suite on the bridge deck for 28 days and traveled from Los Angeles to Sydney. It was an incredible journey across the Pacific Ocean, stopping at many beautiful islands and interesting places. I am so sad to see this beautiful ship demolished – but I suppose that’s progress! Our daughter and her boyfriend just took the Crown Princess on a Southern Caribbean cruise, so history is repeating itself. I only wish they could have taken the Pacific Princess!

46. William Belo

January 7, 2014 at 8:11 pm

these pictures sad me I grew up on The Love Boat watch that show forever I am saddened to hear the two lives that were lost God be with them and God be with pacific princess

47. Monique

January 26, 2014 at 8:27 pm

I grew up watching The Love Boat and more recently watching reruns. It is sad to see such a beautiful ship meet such a sad end, I was lucky enough to see her when she visited Melbourne with her sister ship Island Princess. I Agee she should be rescued and made into a floating hotel many of us would have many pleasant memories recreating the fun and good times she created on The Love Boat.

48. Monique

January 26, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Thank you I hope my comment is published